Sewing with the Girls

Last week I had the great pleasure of spending some time with my youngest granddaughter. We went on a camping trip to Richardson’s Grove State Park with my sister and her daughter. We spent three fun filled days together, swimming, hiking, playing cards, and eating yummy food. Of course, we roasted marshmallows and made the traditional smores. My sister really knows how to pack for camping. She brought tons of food, an extra grill, and a cast iron skillet that was at least 20 inches across. I think it was made for a wagon train or a cattle drive or something. It was big enough to make all the pan cakes for the four of us at once.

IMG_6462

IMG_6468

After we returned home, my youngest daughter arrived for a short visit. We were all invited to a birthday the next day so we started making the birthday gifts for the three year old. We love to give homemade gifts that are unique and have so much love and effort put into them.

IMG_6484

My 12 year old granddaughter did most of the work on the blue dress with the denim yoke. She pinned and cut and sewed practically all the seams. My daughter did the same with the striped dress. It was fun for me to guide them along. Maybe they’ll take up sewing one of these days. It’s good to know who makes your clothes.

IMG_6477

IMG_6481

Bodice Made from Jean Pant Leg

IMG_6487

I did some quick upcycling for both girls. At the thrift we found a pair of jeans that fit my granddaughter and a denim dress from the 80’s for my daughter. We made shorts out of the jeans and added some lace to the back pockets and shortened the dress for a more modern fit.

IMG_6482

IMG_6494

IMG_6493

IMG_6486IMG_6491

IMG_6497

About zibergirl

Seamstress, Sewist, Artist, Fashionista, Quilter, Upcycler, Textile Obsessed!
This entry was posted in Family, nature, Sewing, Upcycle. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Sewing with the Girls

1. nciteful says:

Love the third photo.

2. twirldesigns says:

Great upcycling! They look cute and it looks like you had a ton of fun!

3. Tempest Devyne says:

This looks so much fun. You have such a beautiful family and it’s so nice to see you still have such close links with them. It’s so fab that you’re passing on skills and promoting upcycling. Also, beautiful yellow door 🙂

• zibergirl says:

Thank you, Tempest! I hope you are managing to stay cool in that Arizona sunshine. It’s even hot in Northern California. I love my yellow door and was so thrilled when you painted your’s despite “breaking the rules”. Are you going to participate in the Sew Weekly Reunion? I hope so.

4. Anny says:

So much fun!! Love the dress with the jeans bodice!

5. weziraff says:

What a great idea! The dress and shorts came out so good and they already have that lived in jean look! I love the last picture of both the girls, they are beautiful.