1951 Capelet for the Monthly Stitch

IMG_6591

I’m sewing along with the monthly challenges of the Monthly Stitch and the Sew Weekly Reunion this year. I find these sew- alongs very inspirational and help to keep my creative juices flowing. These online-gatherings of sewists influence me to make things that I never dreamed of making. That said, I just finished a capelet, and not just any capelet, but a 195o’s wool capelet. Check out the Monthly Stitch during the month of August to see all the different shapes and styles of the Cape.

For the Cape Challenge I posted this:

This was certainly meant to be! I scored at the local senior thrift store with this adorable 1951 Simplicity pattern, 3 yards of navy blue wool, and a silky blue fabric for the lining. All came to the incredible price of $4.25. Can you believe it? The 5 yards of trim at 99 cents a yard, cost more than the materials for the cape.

Simplicity 3606 copyright: 1951

Simplicity 3606 copyright: 1951

The pattern is a size 12, 30 inch bust, so I made a muslin first. I found that I only needed to increase the length, widen the side seam to the curve of the shoulder, and increase the neck circumference by adding width to the back middle and the front seams. I basted all the pieces together and tried it on. Perfect! Then I gently pulled all the threads, ironed all the pieces flat, and used spray starch to better hold the shape of each piece.

Steps for Capelet

I washed the wool on the hand-wash cycle of the washing machine with a little hair shampoo, and then laid it over the lawn chairs in the backyard to dry. Then I cut and sewed all the pieces together. I found wool to be a little fussy to sew with. I quickly discovered that I got the best results by having the wool facing down and the lining on top.  I did plenty of steam pressing with a cloth as I made each piece.

IMG_6587 - Version 2

I used black woven interfacing in the collar to help hold it’s shape. Before I put it all together, I trimmed the outside edges of each piece.  After sandwiching the upper cape and the lower cape together, I attached the collar to the outside and then folded under the inside collar and hand-stitched it in place with black quilting thread. I attached a thrifted “frog” closing to the front and voila!

Thanks for looking!

About zibergirl

Seamstress, Sewist, Artist, Fashionista, Quilter, Upcycler, Textile Obsessed!
This entry was posted in DIY, Sewing, Upcycle, vintage and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to 1951 Capelet for the Monthly Stitch

  1. I LOVE it . . . and you look adorable in this! 🙂

    Like

  2. kafeeluvr says:

    you really do look cute! I would love to get that pattern. I like one of the other views on the pattern.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s