A Rose by Any Other Name….

IMG_1061What pattern did you use? For my New-To-Me dress I chose the Cambie Dress by Sewholic.  I liked this pattern because of the sizing that is made especially for the pear- shaped gal. Now that’s me! I’m always grading smaller at the top to larger at the bottom.1202line

• What fabric did you use? I used Gertie by Gretchen Hirsch, 2014 for Fabric Traditions which I picked up at Joanns for less than $6.00 dollars a yard. I bought all they had, which was close to 6 yards. I still have some left for a blouse I’ll make someday using one of Gertie’s patterns. Gretchen used to be an independent designer but now her patterns are sold through Butterick. She has an awesome sewing blog Gertie’s New Blog for Better Sewing which I enjoy visiting.

IMG_1059

• Tell us about the pattern – This dress is fully lined, which makes a great finish for the sweetheart neckline and the sleeves. I chose a lightweight polyester fabric for the lining, but I chose only to line the bodice, since I have a full petticoat to wear under it.

IMG_1062

• Did you include any fun/interesting/new-to-you details? I thought my fabric selection was a fun choice. I didn’t make a muslin first, but tried it on at various stages. It went extremely well. The only thing I need to adjust at some point, are the straps that connect in front. They could be adjusted to fit more snuggly. There is a bit of gaping when I lean forward.

IMG_1104

• What do you think of your finished garment? I adore this pattern, it’s so cute! I got lots of compliments from my girls who were here today to celebrate Father’s Day.

IMG_1088

• What would you do differently next time you make it? It took me forever to cut out the pattern, because the front and back pattern pieces didn’t make sense. The piece labeled Front and cut on the fold is smaller in width than the Back, which says to cut two. I really think there is probably an error here. Luckily, I didn’t blindly just cut it out, trusting that of course a “tried and true” pattern couldn’t be wrong. My skirt would have been almost twice as full in the back and I don’t need any extra there, if you know what I mean. 😉 I chose to draft two rectangles about 55″ wide and cut one in two for the back seam. So next time, it will be so much easier. Has anyone else here made The Cambie version B and noticed this besides me?

IMG_1074

IMG_1096

And then there was that Marilyn Monroe moment!

Happy Sewing!

Signature

About zibergirl

Seamstress, Sewist, Artist, Fashionista, Quilter, Upcycler, Textile Obsessed!
This entry was posted in Blogging, DIY, Dressmaking, Fashion, nature, photography, Sewing, vintage, Vintage sewing and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to A Rose by Any Other Name….

1. SeeKatSew says:

Wow – that border print is stunning! What a steal as well, lucky you got it on sale. The dress very pretty.

Liked by 1 person

2. I was wondering whether you would have on of these gorgeous dresses for Indie pattern month! Love the roses and the bodice, such a great dress especially when in full bloom!

Liked by 1 person

3. Hila says:

Utterly gorgeous and delightful!

Liked by 1 person

4. SEW SEW CUTE! I love the fabric you chose to use, it’s beautiful. I used the top of the Cambrie pattern to make my Kentucky Derby dress a few years ago. I love how it looks but I did make a muslin first and made a few changes before I cut out my fabric. You look beautiful as always in your new dress. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

5. Jan brandt says:

The dress is beautiful. I have to make a comment to you, I love that you smile in all your photos. Sometimes I think bloggers forget! You always look solo happy! Great job on both sewing and photos!!!

Liked by 1 person

6. I love this dress it is so perfect on you and as I said on the monthly stitch comments I really love how you used the roses around the middle and shoulder straps to add more punch of color! Lovely, lovely, lovely!!!!

Liked by 1 person

7. That has got to be another winner – you have utilised the fabric brilliantly. Well done you!

Liked by 1 person

8. nepalquest says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE! This dress is darling! And the Marilyn Monroe moment is my favorite shot of you! Beautiful job!

Liked by 1 person

9. Katy says:

So fun and summery! Yay for fabrics on sale! Such a gorgeous dress. I can picture this one around markets and carrying baskets of flowers and fruit…

Liked by 1 person

10. Lovely dress, and your use of the print makes it really special.

11. noecassandre says:

quelle belle robe et j’aime la ceinture de roses et l’utilisation de rose sdans les manchons.

12. Pingback: Meet the Contestants! Super Online Sewing Match II | Sew Mama Sew | Outstanding sewing, quilting, and needlework tutorials since 2005.

13. nepalquest says:

Beautiful dress! Love love love the photoshops! Especially the Marilyn Monroe shot! Great job!

14. I’m excited to see what you make in the sMS thing. I love your style!

15. Alana says: