Classic and Casual Carolyn Pajamas

Update: I was eliminated in round four. 😦 One of these talented ladies: Leah, Shannon, or Teresa, will win the grand prize during round 5.

SOSMII2 Here’s my entry for Round Four of the Super Online Sewing Match II: The Carolyn Pajamas by Heather Lou of Closet Case Files. Thank you, Heather, for designing a pattern for sewing these classic pajamas. IMG_1501 Do you know what makes this particular style of pajamas “classic”? My research suggests that it’s the contrasting piping around the notched collar and on the chest pocket. I also found out that women started borrowing men’s pajamas early in the 1900’s and then women’s pajamas came out in the 1920’s, thanks to designers like Coco Chanel. She invented the lounging pajamas and beachwear versions. Suddenly, pajamas became a stylish alternative to the nightgown. The piping is a signature detail of the “classic” pajamas. IMG_1529This is the first pair of pajamas that I’ve ever made for myself, so I’m glad they are classic and have so much history behind them. IMG_1519IMG_1527I traveled up the coast to Eureka, CA with my daughter for an overnight stay earlier in the week and while she worked, I shopped at Joann’s and Eureka Fabrics. Choosing the material was hard. At Joanns, I browsed and touched fabric for over two hours until I spotted just what I wanted. It was love at first sight! My fabric is a 100% white cotton with turquoise machine embroidery all over it. I also bought turquoise quilting cotton to make the coordinating piping. At Eureka fabrics, I spotted these handmade mother-of-pearl  buttons that were just the right shade of blue to match the pajama fabric. IMG_1427Back home, it was time to make the piping according to Heather’s excellent tutorial. IMG_1417Then I cut and sewed the pajamas. I bought extra fabric so that I could also make the Carolyn shorts for a hot weather variation. I made the stylish short-sleeve top to go with the long pants and the shorts. IMG_1484IMG_1479 It was exciting to see how perfect the piping turned out, thanks to Heather’s advise to make it so that it lines up with your 5/8″ seam allowance. I’m glad I had a generic piping foot for the sewing machine, because my piping turned out neat and even, without any stitches showing. I sewed it to one layer by moving the needle over to the right 5.1 and then when I sandwiched  layers, I moved the needle to the left 3.1. It was a hassle to unscrew my regular foot then screw on the piping foot, but the results were worth it. IMG_1419The Carolyn Pajama directions were easy to follow with great illustrations. I had a couple of questions about a few of the procedures, so I emailed Heather. I really appreciate her prompt, helpful response. After that, the pajamas went together like a dream and the fit was perfect! I didn’t bother with a muslin for fit corrections, but just went by the sizes on the pattern. I made a size 12 top and size 14 bottoms. IMG_1472Here is a peek at the inside of my pajamas. You can double click on it for closer examination, if you want.Carolyn finishingsI used woven fusible interfacing to interface the lapels. I sewed it, right sides together, to the inside edge of the lapel, turned it wrong sides together, then fused it for a neat clean edge.InterfacingWith the leftover fabric, I made a casual tank top to go with the Carolyn Pajamas. I used the Ella Top by Leila Patterns. I faced the neckline and armholes with the leftover bias strips not used for piping, and made the back yoke from the pajama fabric. Now, I have options for hot or cold weather and for dressing casual or classic! Shortswtank3Even though I’ve been sewing since the age of 12, there’s always something new to learn like making piping and then sewing it in, choosing the right fabric for the right pattern, and learning about the history of the classic pajamas. It’s all a very enjoyable and rewarding experience for me! Version 2Also, sewing along side Leah, Shannon, and Teresa (three accomplished and talented sewists) is fun and exciting. I can’t wait to see their versions of the Carolyn Pajamas! IMG_1498 Many thanks to Sew Mama Sew for organizing the competition and to Sew Modern for the generous gift certificate. I’ve already ordered Cotton and Steel fabric to make several Caravan Totes to give to my girls for Christmas! ….oh no! I’ve ruined the surprise 😉

Happy Sewing!

Signature

About zibergirl

Seamstress, Sewist, Artist, Fashionista, Quilter, Upcycler, Textile Obsessed!
This entry was posted in Art, Blogging, Contest, DIY, Dressmaking, Family, Fashion, Hair, photography, Sewing, sewing contest, Tutorial, Upcycle, Video Production, vintage, Vintage sewing and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Classic and Casual Carolyn Pajamas

1. byoxall@instawave.net says:

Great pictures on a fabulous sewing project! Pat

Liked by 1 person

2. What great pajamas. I love the different combinations of tops and bottoms you’ve made.

3. Katy says:

These are fantastic! I’m so inspired!

Liked by 1 person

4. I love these pajamas Barbara! The fabric is beautiful. I’ve always wanted to sew piping on a garment and you have inspired me. Good luck in the competition. I know you’ll do great.

Liked by 1 person

5. They look brilliant and what absolutely gorgeous fabric – so unusual. Good Luck!

Liked by 1 person

6. These are fantastico!! And I love the fabric you picked. They look so chic and yes, classic!! Good luck!!

Liked by 1 person

7. Great Job! You look adorable!

8. Melissa Angus says:

That is a beautiful set of pajamas. I especially like the sleeveless top with the yoke made out of the leftover fabric.

9. chris johnson says:

Everything about your PJ’s is spectacular. Love the PJ history lesson, the piping tips, that your fabulous fabric was bought at Joann’s, and the extras to complete a PJ wearable wardrobe are the frosting on the cake! Impressive contribution to the contest. You go girl!

10. Claire says:

I love the fabric and beautiful job on the piping. They look so comfy!

Liked by 1 person

11. I love these! Your fabric is amazing, and I love your method for finishing the facing. I also love your casual tank to make them super versatile!

12. Kristina says:

Ah! These are GREAT! I would not have thought to use that fabric for jammies–and now it seems like the most logical choice in the world!

13. Anny says:

Such pretty fabric and buttons! You really did a superb job of sewing!

14. Teresa says:

Your pajamas turned out great! And those buttons…they are perfect! I also like your Ella top (I’ve sewn one and wear mine all the time)!

Liked by 1 person

15. Pingback: Super Online Sewing Match II: Round Four Showcase of Carolyn Pajamas | Sew Mama Sew | Outstanding sewing, quilting, and needlework tutorials since 2005.

16. I adore the extra Ella top you made!

Liked by 1 person

17. The fabric with the embroidery and the pyjamas are gorgeous. Everything matches so well together and the extra Ella top is just adorable!!

18. Diane says:

You did such a wonderful job and I love all of the versions you made. I was really looking forward to see what everyone did and I’m so impressed!!

19. Christine says:

Your PJs look fantastic. Congrats on that perfect piping. Re the history of the pyjamas for women, I recently listened to an audio book (which I do while sewing) of Coco Chanel’s life story which mentioned her part in popularising the pyjama. Good luck in this round.

Liked by 1 person

20. Super cute! And the pyjamas are adorable too! 🙂 I think the turquoise and white fabric might have a little bit to do with it. I HEART turquoise! Best of Luck to the next round!

21. Ginger says:

Your pajama set looks great. Could you point me in the direction of the Ella Top pattern? I googled but couldn’t find anything. Thanks so much.

Liked by 1 person

22. I can’t believe these didn’t make it through to the next round. They are miles better than another set that was submitted. Sometimes I think this challenge is prejudiced against more seasoned seamstresses in order to raise interest in the younger set towards sewing. At least I thought that last go round of this challenge and now I see it again.

• zibergirl says:

Thank you, Becky, for your supportive comment. My husband and daughters felt the same way. I’m ok with how it turned out. I’m sure the judges have their reasons for their selection. But I’m moving on to other projects and teaching sewing lessons that have been put on hold because of of the contest. Your comment means a lot to me.

• Ginger says:

Having just read the final outcome I think both of you are right. I wonder if the winner had been chosen before it even began. At any rate the winner did give it her all and congratulations to her. Maybe next time they should do 2 competitions, one for beginner and one for the more seasoned.

23. Tammy says:

I’ve been following along on the SMS site and I’m disappointed that you didn’t make it to the final round. When I found out it was only one being eliminated, I for sure thought it would be the one with the crinkly collar…

24. Andrea says:

Both sets are lovely! I love the fabric and the buttons!

25. kathyh says:

This set is my favorite. Love the colors.

26. Ann M says:

Thsee are absolutely perfect. I think you did wonderful sewing and have lovely fabric taste.

27. Ellen says:

Barbara, I am disappointed that you have been eliminated because your sewing is impeccable and your Carolyn Pajamas were the best entries in this contest. Leaves me wondering…

• zibergirl says:

I wonder too. I should have asked to see the judging criteria before I started. It could have been only subjective and not based on skill or design. But enough boohooing, I love to sew and I hope to share what I know with anyone who wants to learn.
      Thanks for your kind comment, it’s very much appreciated.